Scopes, Sniping and Reloading: Was new life for...

( Start Ben )
 My point was the players will do whatever they can get away with.
Just out of curiosity, what are other people's house rules on reloading?  We
have already been talking about scoped shots, but what about reloading?
( End Ben )

Uh, what's the context?  Reloading as in 'metallic cartridge reloading' or
refilling the ammunition supply in a weapon.  It's unclear from the message.

In terms of cartridge reloading, I wouldn't make a rule.  I have no desire
to argue over the merits of 6.9 gr of Bullseye versus 8.0 gr of Unique.  My
players don't have the detailed knowledge (and based on the 'new' ammunition
with no matching headstamps a player gave me, they aren't going to develop
it), so it is easier to lump it under 'appropriate equipment for the job'.

I would far rather add a skill to the list: Long Range Shooting rather than
develop accurate rules for all of the potential nuances possible.  If you
have LR Shooting, then you have the skills, experience and knowledge of how
to utilize the equipment you have.  LR Shooting covers things like learning
how to use a ballistic table, develop an appropriate load and experience
shooting at extended ranges.  If you have LR Shooting and have taken the
time to prepare, reloading would be included in the preparations.  If you
don't have LR shooting, either default to Aim: Longarm at a modifier or (if
you're a harsher GM) Aim.

My argument for adding a separate skill is that most shooters don't practice
at extended distances.  Given the already reduced training budgets, how
often do line infantry units practice at 200 m, much less 800 m?  Finding
civilian ranges suitable for long range shooting can be very difficult
depending on where you are located.  If you've never shot at over 100 m,
it's going to be damn difficult to hit the man-sized target at 800 m.  The
experience is reflected as an additional skill, rather than a series of
modifiers for the existing skill.

-Eric