Re: Bad Technothrillers (was nitrogen grenades)

On or about Fri, May 11, 2001 at 01:11:13PM +0100, Lee Williams typed:
>What about Payne Harrison? He wrote only 2 books that I know of and I only
>have one of those. The books in question are Storming Intrepid and Thunder
>on Erebus. Without meaning to spoil it for those who might be interested,
>the Soviet Union (remember them?) steal a space shuttle...etc etc.

Didn't _Thunder on Erebus_ have that amazing anti-carrier weapon?
I don't remember the details, but something like:

- submarine launches torpedo from under ice
- torpedo converts to rocket mode when it has clear water above
- rocket flies up to 90K+ feet so that the AAW can't shoot it down
- then powers _downwards_ directly next to the carrier
- then launches a torpedo
- which is big enough to sink a carrier with two shots