Re: Paintball

 > I agree; it really points up the value of (a)
> training in tactical
> situations and (b) training as a unit. I went out
> with some people from
> (last-job-but-one), and we ended up doing pretty
> well by virtue of
> being able to form an instant five-man tactical
> team.

Interestingly, some of the worst people I've played
against where a USAF SP unit. They were god-awful.
They 'bunched' too much for mutual morale and
communications, meaning that there were 2-5 people
behind each bit of cover (paintballers spread right
out to minimise getting each other shot and to
maximise angles). The used obvious cover (paintballers
use any 3" dip, any sapling, any foot-square bit of
tin). They didn't yell communications (paintballers
keen in good contact by shouting a lot, unless they're
sneaking about). They also made the mistake of
believing traing and trying to fire-and-maneuver
agaist effective fire. Anyone who's played on a field
dominated with semis will have something to tell any
infantry-man the futility of trying to move ANYWHERE
on the field when faced with rapid fire, until the
firefight is won.
But generally, the game is great for team-building.
The winning teams are the ones that communicate and
spread out to flank, rather than stick together like
siamese twins.