Re: Machineguns

In a message dated 7/2/2001 8:49:20 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
blackeagleblackeagle@yahoo.com writes:

> The weapon is about 38 kg and 600rds
> comes in at about 83
> kilos for a grand (and I do mean grand!) total of
> 121 kilos! (good thing
> there are four men lugging that, eh?).

That is my point.  Are half (or more) of your ME
players going to pack a BMG and ammo?

On certain types of missions having the firepower and range capability of a
.50 caliber is hard to beat with anything short of ATGMs.  Probably going to
happen to an BE/BE cell very infrequently, but ...

Kind of a waste

of the brains and talents of the class of people that
you are supposed to be role-playing in ME, isn't it?

It is a waste of their brains and talents if they do not take advantage of
the best equipment for the job.

hat is why I think that a 7.62x51 MG is the right
choice.  I, personally, don't think that the 5.56x45
is such a great choice, when looking at a MG.  Sure,
you have ammo compatibility and it is a great deal
lighter, but it doesn't have the "punch" I think a MG
needs.

For most jobs the 5.56 SAW is going to have more than enough punch and offer
a significant weight advantage over the lightest GPMGs.  An M60E4 with
assault barrel is not much heavier than a standard M249, but the ammo is the
killer.  600 rounds of 7.62 is going to run about 18kg versus 9.5kg for
5.56mm.