Re: Re: FN F2000

millenniums-end-l@firedrake.org wrote:
> This is probably the feature that scares me the most.  Any jamming
> in this ejection tube and serious malfunction results that takes a
> good bit of fiddling to fix.  They have kindly put access holes in
> the side of the tube to allow acces, but that also allows access to
> dirt and other obstructions.
> Reminds me of the magazine on the Chauchat.
>
> Rob

Oh now it can't be *that* bad.  It reminds me more of a WWII Italian
medium MG (designation escapes me at the moment, but it's real) that
used rigid sheet metal 'belts' of 20 or so rounds, thus neatly
combining the disadvantages of a magazine-fed and a belt-fed weapon.
Further, after the action removed a round from the 'belt' and fired
it, the empty cartridge case was then extracted from the chamber
and lovingly re-inserted *back into* the sheet metal strip, thus
approximately doubling the complexity of the feed mechanism in an
apparent attempt at promoting recycling and battlefield neatness.

(In addition, I think this is one of those delightful WWII MG's
that required the rounds to be oiled in order to extract properly.
Lovely thing, oiled rounds stored exposed on sheet metal strips,
won't pick up hardly any dirt at all on those, oh no, especially
not in the North African desert.)