Re: Re: FN F2000

According to srydzews@ix.netcom.com, on Wed, 04 Jul 2001 the word on the
street was...

> Oh now it can't be *that* bad.  It reminds me more of a WWII Italian
> medium MG (designation escapes me at the moment, but it's real) that
> used rigid sheet metal 'belts' of 20 or so rounds, thus neatly
> combining the disadvantages of a magazine-fed and a belt-fed weapon.

That's a much older system, developed for the Hotchkiss machine guns of the
late 19th century. The final types of Hotchkiss used 3-round "plates"
articulated together to form a 48-round (IIRC) "belt," but all the earlier
models used the plates you describe, as did many of the weapon's
derivatives.

> Further, after the action removed a round from the 'belt' and fired
> it, the empty cartridge case was then extracted from the chamber
> and lovingly re-inserted *back into* the sheet metal strip, thus
> approximately doubling the complexity of the feed mechanism in an
> apparent attempt at promoting recycling and battlefield neatness.

This is the 8 mm Breda Model 37 machine gun.

--
Gurth@xs4all.nl        -        http://www.xs4all.nl/~gurth/index.html
  A bad day fishing is still better than a good day dying.

GC3.12: GAT/! d-(dpu) s:- !a>? C+@ UL P L++ E W-(++) N o? K w+(--) O V?
PS+ PE(-)(+) Y PGP- t@ 5++ X(+) R+++(-)>$ tv+ b++@ DI- D+ G+ e h! !r y?
Incubated into the First Church of the Sqooshy Ball, 21-05-1998