Re: Genoa

Hello,

        I'm not sure you understood either of my points, which were: (1) before making the kind of condemnatory statements that the other fellow did, you ought to first investigate and make sure you've got your facts straight and be sure you've got the whole picture, and (2) you ought to understand what the typical police response has been to protests, both in Genoa and other places.  You ought to be as critical of statements by the police as of any other side.  In your post, you seemed to be taking the police position as the default, "respectable" position.  It isn't, especially when it comes to protests.  Also you used an analogy of war, which in the context I think is quite inappropriate: there's a big difference between being in a van armed with live ammo and being outside it with a fire extinguisher.  If you look at the whole context you'll see the police were beating, gassing, etc. people, including nonviolent ones, for hours without provocation.  I've had this happen to myself, and it's become SOP for police at large protest events.  Check the sources I mentioned for more info.  To sum up, I'll quote from http://www.commondreams.org/news2001/0722-01.htm:

        "The killing by police on July 20 of Carlo Giuliani was the inevitable result of an increasing willingness to use excessive force as part of a broad denial of democratic participation in the global decision making process.
The overwhelming number of demonstrators at these mass demonstrations are engaged in peaceful, non-violent protest. The appropriate and legal response to potential and actual violence is to guarantee an adequate police presence and to arrest any protestors who engage in violent conduct. (Collins v. Jordan, 9th Cir. 1997). The recent killing of a protestor is an inevitable consequence of the use of "collective punishment" by police against large numbers of political demonstrators, rather than enforcement of the law while protecting the right to speak as the Constitution demands. In the United States, this collective punishment has thus far taken the form of chemical weapons and less-lethal rounds fired into crowds; but anything that causes someone to fear engaging in speech because of possible punishment for someone else's acts is profoundly dangerous to the proper functioning of any democracy."...
       "The suppression of legitimate First Amendment activities by legions of police and government agents suited in riot gear and engaging in para-military tactics not only has a terrifying effect on demonstrators but also perpetuates an atmosphere of violence. Such tactics are self-defeating in that they not only frighten protestors, but also make young and inexperienced police officers more nervous, the likely result being the loss of human life."

- Manu