Re[2]: Starting equipment

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 16:10:05 -0600
"Robert J . Hansen" <rjhansen@inav.net> wrote:

> > I would like to get some comments on what is missing in this firm
> > starter kit.
>
> Short answer: LOTS.
>
> Search through the archives to find a thread or two on God Forbid bags.
> They're called God Forbids because God forbid that you should ever need
> one.  I can see BE issuing a lightweight God Forbid to operators, but not
> the very heavy military equipment that you've got listed here.  Just
> carrying around half of it, plus rations and shelter, would leave strong
> men staggering under the load.

It is not intended as a God Forbid bag. It is intended to be a park of
stuff every one would normally need to get up and running. It is
intended to give a good basis, not the final solution.

> > My idea with the following list of equipment is, that it is given to
> > every new starting person in the firm and like the basic equipment
> > cop/solder would get.
>
> You might wish to consider that in armed forces, not all soldiers are
> provisioned alike.  One man is provisioned with the GPMG/SAW, others are
> provisioned with rifles.  Some are provisioned with antitank weapons, some
> are provisioned with Claymores.  Soldiers tend to be issued only what gear
> is so pervasive as to be needed just about everywhere.  Anything which is
> mission-sensitive they draw as-needed from the quartermaster.

I know:-)

but as I said a few linie up:  It is intended to give a good basis, not
the final solution.

> > Weapons
> > · 1 red smoke grenade
> > · 2 CS grenades
> > · 2 Flash Bang grenades
> > · 4 spare magazines for the Colt M4
> > · 4 spare magazines for the H&K MP5SD6
> > · 4 spare magazines for the SIG Sauer
> > · Colt M4 - Rifle
> > · H&K MP5SD6 - Silenced SMG
> > · Rugged 20cm stainless steel knife, with built-in wire-cutter
> > · SIG Sauer P228 - Pistol
> > · Silencer for SIG Sauer P228
>
> Unless you're running a Rambo game, you're way overequipped.  In my own
> campaign, each operator was required (not requested--/required/) to carry a
> BE-approved pistol (SIGs and Glocks dominated) and wear Class IIa body
> armor.  More weapons than that could be provided by the operator himself,
> from the cell's locker, or by pleading and wheedling with other cells to
> borrow parts of their kit.
>
> There is a tremendous functional overlap between the MP5SD6 and the M4
> SOPMOD, incidentally.  Both are designed for close-quarters battle.  They
> are similar in size and heft (M4 is larger, but not greatly so).  They both
> mount silencers, scopes, etc.  Issuing everyone both an MP5SD6 and an M4
> strikes me as very wasteful spending from the BE beancounters--it's almost
> totally redundant to keep them both.

Yes having a MP5SD6 and a M4 is overkill - but when I did write this,
the people I write it to would like to have a smg and a rifle.

> > Other
> > · 10 Green chemical light sticks
>
> Only needed at night.  Thus, this would be a "draw as-needed" item and not
> part of standard kit.

They can be use to other thing - like markers. You clear a room, you
drop one in the dooway, to signal that the room have been cleared.

> > · 25 km Encrypted hand radio receiver with strobe microphone and earpiece
>
> Only needed for tactical operations (for non-tac use, a cell phone draws
> much less attention).  Draw as-needed.

Yes, a cell phone draw less attention, but is much more insecure.

> > · AN/PVS 7 night vision goggles
>
> Only needed at night.  DAN.

But would be nice to have in the trunk of you car, because you do not
always get the time to plan.

> > · Armor Holding Assault Vest "Armor Holding SWAT 22", Class II
> > · Armor Holding Protective Vest "Armor Holding M4", Class II
> > · BDU, black
> > · BDU, US pattern woodland camouflage
>
> Only needed for tactical operations.  DAN.  Normal duty wear might be a
> concealed Class II, IIa or III vest.

I would never say that some one should wear body armour, because it is
up to the individual.

> > · Binocular, 12-20x zoom
>
> These are surprisingly useful in a wide variety of situations, but not
> every operative needs a pair.  One or two sets of binocs might be issued
> per cell, but more than that would be up to individual operators to
> provide.

Yes not every one needs one.

> > · Boots, leather combat model
> > · Camouflage compact
>
> Tac ops, DAN.

I would like my own pair of boots:-)
But the camouflage compact, yes that would be a DAN.

> > · Cellular phone
>
> Useful.  Probably provided to everyone.

Is need for every one IMHO.

> > · Climbing and rappelling gear including: chock set, locking carabineer,
> > rappelling ascender, rappelling descender, rappelling seat
> > · Compass
>
> Mountaineering and orienteering only.  DAN.
>

> > · First aid kit field
>
> A well-stocked first aid kit (paramedic's jump kit, etc.) should be issued
> to every cell, and very light first aid kits issued to every individual.
> This one's a keeper.
>
> > · Full-face military issue gas mask
>
> CBW.  DAN.

Would be a nice thing also to have in the trunk of the car.

> > · Insect repellent
>
> Only needed for wilderness operations.  DAN.
>
> > · Nylon rope, 20 meter
>
> Not needed for most operations.  20m of rope per person is also excessive
> (and heavy).  11mm Kernmantle has a Kevlar core and a nylon sheath
> surrounding it; 20m of it will weigh about five kilos.  DAN.
>
> > · Pair of black fingerless shooting gloves
> > · Pair of thick, heavy kneepads
>
> Tac ops, DAN.
>
> > · Shoulder holster for the SIG Sauer P228
>
> Method of carry shouldn't be specified--some people have an easier time
> concealing with small-of-back carry, others with shoulder carry, others
> with side carry, etc.

Ehh, yes it should read: one type of holster for SIG Sauer P228

> > · Ski mask, black
>
> If BE is paying these guys $50,000+ a year, they can buy their own ski
> masks.

Hey, with that income they could buy all of this. But how professional
is a firm that will not provided it's employees with most basic stuff
for doing something illegal:))

> > · Standard Alice gear including a pair of canteens, several magazine
> > pouches, etc.
>
> Tac ops, DAN.
>
> > · Sure-fire 2-C cell flashlight
>
> Good idea.
>
> > · Tactical vest, black
> > · Tactical vest, US pattern woodland camouflage
>
> DAN.
>
> > · Two small water bottles
>
> Operative is responsible for providing their own water.
>
> > · Watch, Casio water proof down to 20 meters
>
> Operative is responsible for having a reliable timepiece.

Not every one will have the same watch - some will have good one others
will have a bad one. So I think it is as need as a cell phone.

Thanks for the imput.

Dann Ernstsen
Vanløse Alle 22, 3 tv
2720 Vanløse