Worrying moment

Just thought I'd share an interesting encounter I had the other day.

I was driving up Park Lane in London when I get passed by a Royal Bentley
full of people in big hats. Its obviously someone important because as they
go past I spot two escort vehicles behind. I know they're escort vehicles
because the whole lot are doing synchronised lane changes with the last
vehicle in the convoy moving first.

Cool thinks I the Royalty & Diplomatic Protection Squad (? name) in action.
At that very moment (dramatic eh?) I get overtaken by a battered Mercedes
with four men of er, Arab appearance on board. They rapidly speed up to the
Bentley and then brake sharply to match speed with it. This obviously spooks
the R&DS boys because one of the escort cars promptly drops in behind the
Merc. The Bentley however keeps going at exactly the same speed it was doing
before, the chaffeur seemingly oblivious to what is going on.

At this point I get ready to do my famous impression of man hiding in
footwell of car, but as you can guess nothing happens. We get to the lights
by Marble Arch and the Bentley and Merc keeps going over an orange light
which catches both the escort cars on red. Incredibley they stop, wait for it
to change and then scream after the Bentley like rally drivers.

Now I make no claims to know anything about bodyguarding Royalty but the
whole thing struck me as terribly British.

I'll bet some sharp words were exchanged on all sides when they reached their
destination.

Charles

Once is chance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action.