Re: SA80-A2: it's all the soldier's fault

On or about Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 11:32:30PM -0500, Robert J. Hansen typed:

>Someone should photocopy Arthur C. Clarke's short story, "Superiority", and
>send it to the designers and military brass.

Much of the pressure for new weapons systems, in the UK at least, comes
from the defence companies. "If you don't give us lots of new orders and
generous maintenance contracts, we'll go bust and not be able to repair
the kit you've already bought."

The present government in the UK has demonstrated a particular
vulnerability to companies prepared to make donations to party funds.

>> Blaming the troops who are being left vunerable in battle is just
>> rubbish.
>I'm reminded of Kipling's "Young British Soldier", talking about a British
>soldier in Afghanistan

For reference:

http://www.everypoet.com/archive/poetry/Rudyard_Kipling/kipling_the_young_british_soldier.htm

Roger