RE: [ME]: Ballistic gell or the "no man down" system

Are you referring to Spectra fibres? Those are made by a process called
gel-spinning. Spectra fibres have a gel-like appearance and can be woven
into soft body armour. They are said to have a tensile strength greater than
aramid fibres. Pound for pound, these plastic fibres are 10 times tougher
than steel, and with a specific gravity of 0.97, they even float on water.

There is a write-up about Spectra's "Miracle Fiber" (sic) here:
http://www.firstdefense.com/html/vest_the_miracle_fiber.htm

Bill