Re: ME: Posting

According to anitraf@juno.com, on Sat, 09 Dec 2000 the word on the street was...

> OK.  what I meant was, for each individual posting to the list to add the
> ME: tag in the subject line, not for the list itself to include it.
> Sorry that wasn't clear - it really _was_ late when I posted!

In which case it's easier if the listserver does it, like at Perspex...

> By 'real email client' I assume you mean one that requires that my
> computer be permanently joined at the hip to the Internet at all times -
> sorry, not an option.  I cannot tie up my only phone line for something
> that is (in this case) no more than a convenience.  Nor can I afford a
> second phone line.

Any mail reader that does POP/SMTP mail will do -- these are protocols that
will allow you to retrieve (POP) and send (SMTP) mail without necessarily
having an internet connection at all times. Just log onto you provider in
whatever way you normally do (like Windows Dialup Networking), tell your
mailer to fetch mail, and it downloads all your messages, which your ISP
stored for you.

As for mailers that can do this, Eudora (the somewhat limited Light version
is free, IIRC from http://www.eudora.com), Pegasus (100% free and very
powerful, http://www.pmail.com), or even Outlook (though I'd stay away from
it if I were you) are all available for Windows.

> I made a suggestion that I thought might help those
> of us that would like the messages identified by the list they came from,
> (for speed and ease of answering) but I can certainly live without the
> identifier if this List no longer has one.  Not a problem.

That's the thing: if you've got a real mailer (for want of a better term),
it will sort on all sorts of other things. You will be able to define
mailboxes and a set of filtering rules, so that -- for example -- all
messages containing the text "millenniums-end-l@firedrake.org" in the To:
header will go into your Millennium's End mail folder. Very convenient and
it takes away al lot of hassle.

--
Gurth@xs4all.nl        -        http://www.xs4all.nl/~gurth/index.html
  Still hoping for a Linux version of Pegasus...

GC3.1: GAT/! d-(dpu) s:- !a>? C+@ UL P L+ E? W(++) N o? K- w+ O V? PS+
PE Y PGP- t(+) 5++ X+ R+++>$ tv+(++) b++@ DI? D+ G(++) e h! !r(---) y?
Incubated into the First Church of the Sqooshy Ball, 21-05-1998