Re: Armored cars

In a message dated 2/10/01 11:25:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kenmis@yahoo.com writes:

> >I don't know too many people that want to get in
>  >gunfights for $7 bucks an hour...
>
>  Holy crap!  yes, that does put quite a bit of spin on
>  things, doesn't it?

Not in the least.  A lot of folks working armored cars are moonlighting cops
and folks waiting for background checks before joining the police.  Also find
a fair chunk of wanttobe cops who for one reason or another cannot get a
department slot and are very serious about what they do.  Duds make up less
then 25% of the slots.

>  So we've got vehicles that won't stand 7.62 manned

This has to be taken with a BIG grain of salt.  The two big names in US
armored cars run Class IV or even V.  Smaller companies are the ones who run
Class III and yes unarmed vehicles.  In certain areas of the country almost
all transport is done by unmarked unarmored vehicles.

>by
>  guys that are horrificly underpaid, probably worse so
>  in the ME world (or perhaps better, any theorys on
>  this?)

The threat gets higher and the counter measures increase.  Also going to be a
lot of downsized military folks itching for $7 an hour (no less then they
made in the service).  Would not surprise me if the armored car companies
pull a South Africa and go with active defenses.  If ME folks can run around
with guns blazing then a flamethrower on an armored car is going to be no big
deal.

Rob