Re: New Life for Millennium's End

(de-lurking, now my workload is FINALLY easing up!)

Steve Peterson of Hero Games wrote...

> Hello Millennium's End fans! As you've already discovered, Hero
Games has
> acquired the rights to the Millennium's End product line from
Charles Ryan.

Well, now we know, lol!

> What we're trying to do right away is take the existing ME books,
without
> changes, and make them available online as e-books. Several are
already up
> in our store, and the rest should be up shortly. We're still in the
process
> of figuring out the future of the product line, and we invite you to
provide
> your input to that process through our discussion boards at
> www.cybergames.com. I don't want to take up bandwidth here on the
mailing
> list about this discussion, unless that's what you'd prefer. You can
comment
> directly to me, or to our discussion boards, or on this list.

I suspect most of us will prefer to discuss this here, rather than on
a discussion board; it's cheaper for those of us who pay on-line time
(especially in Europe)!

> Our goal is to make these fine products available to a wider
audience and
> expand the community of ME fans. Our first step is to find out what
you, the
> hard-core ME fans, would like to see. We'd like to get input from
all
> interested parties so we can make well-informed decisions. This
process will
> take a while, so there will be plenty of time to hear all opinions.

So noted; thanks for the opportunity.

> While I'm still in the process of reading through the ME line, I'm
not
> entirely unfamiliar with the genre, having co-authored the
Espionage! and
> Danger International RPGs, and being a long-time fan of
technothriller
> fiction in general. The ME line has impressed me with its production
values,
> writing, and meticulous research. I'm also impressed with the
quality of the
> materials that you all have created in support of ME. When creating
future
> materials for ME we will strive to meet the high standards that have
been
> set. Thanks for your time!

Excellent.

OK, ideas from here:

1. Make the core rules somewhat simpler. I /LNOW/ this will not be
easy. The strength of the M.E. system is in its' realism to taking
fire - one hit, and you're potentially brown bread (dead), but I
suspect this could be made a little simpler. However, it will require
a GREAT DEAL of work.

2. Make the basic rules a freebie download (as an e-book in PDF?) - it
could well help hook more new players into the game. Look at GURPS for
a lead in to the theory; their core rules (character generation,
taskings, etc) are freebie download, which, I suspect, helped make
them a major force in the gaming market today.

3. Advance the timeline a few years, thus keeping the game near future
enough to be interesting, without being too sci-fi for non-sci-fi
players. We started this process with the Millennium's End Future
History Continuation Project, but unfortunately, I gost snowed with
work, and couldn't devote the time I wanted to it. I still have the
files and e-mails for the project, and can carry on working on it,
should the other participants wish to carry on as well; this assumes
that you guys at Hero Games can make use of the material we produce,
of course. If you can't, then the MEFHCP is as much use as a roof-rack
on a helicopter - please advice us on this!

4. How about letting us know the production schedule you have in
mind - esp in relation to PRINTED material, rather than e-books?

Over to you!

Best regards,

Roger Stenning
Webmaster, The Impossible Scenarios Group
www.the-isg.co.uk
ICQ: 74721632
UK Amateur Radio call sign: G1LIW
(PGP public key available on request)
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this message may not
be those of the ISG. The information in this email and in any
attachments may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient, you should not retain, copy or use this email for
any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of its content to any other
person - you should also destroy this message, delete any copies
held on your systems and notify the sender immediately.