Re: [ME] Re: Crippled US EP-3

> What unstable storage technologies are you refering to?  The latest systems
> (last 10-20 years) that I have insight into (which are not that many) use
> standard types of media (SCSI hard drives, DAT tapes, etc).  Also, data can
> be recovered from almost any media if not properly destroyed.  I work with a
> system that handles up to Top Secret, and was told that once media is at the
> TS, it can never be downgraded, even through DOD approved erasing protocols.

Apparently the US has been utilizing super cooled liquid (frozen?) storage media
since the F-14 (rumors that would hold great credence if you know how ingenious
an inspired engineer can be) came on line in the 80s.

Anyhow.... Plane crashes, coolant system fails (most probably on purpose) and
your data storage becomes goo... kind of like dousing that 3.5" floppy in
lighter fluid and setting it alight... several times...

If that is the case, then I would see no great problem with them using it in
other, much more sensitive areas, like oh say... ELINT spy planes?

If I have it wrong, let me know... I'll have to go kick an old friend's ass...

S.