Re: [ME] Re: Crippled US EP-3

Chris Kracik <chris@kracik.com> writes
>What unstable storage technologies are you refering to?  The latest systems
>(last 10-20 years) that I have insight into (which are not that many) use
>standard types of media (SCSI hard drives, DAT tapes, etc).  Also, data can
>be recovered from almost any media if not properly destroyed.  I work with a
>system that handles up to Top Secret, and was told that once media is at the
>TS, it can never be downgraded, even through DOD approved erasing protocols.

I'll second that from across the Atlantic too. All the defence sites I
deal with now use standard off-the-shelf media for material up to and
including top secret. Like the DoD, the MoD ruling is that media used
for highest levels of security classifications cannot ever be
downgraded.

I have seen purpose-built disk drives with a built-in vial of acid
(externally they look no different to a standard IDE or SCSI drive) but
these certainly aren't the norm. I suspect they're not used much now
either, as the acid spray wasn't particularly effective.

--
Mark Baker
http://www.lange.demon.co.uk/Millenniums_End/ME_Index.html