Re: New Life for Millennium's End

According to MathesonT@aol.com, on Tue, 17 Apr 2001 the word on the street
was...

> > Does anybody bother with barrel changes for LMGs or fixing jams?
> >
> Most modern LMGs can handle lots of rounds before they need a change, and
> doctrine usually calls for barrel changes after several hundred rounds.  When
> was the last time a character fired that much?  The US Army does not issue
> spare barrels for the M249, SEALs do not carry spares for their M60E3s.
> Never had any major problems.

Not to mention that, from what I read in a Dutch arms magazine (I have no
first-hand experience with this whatsoever) the troops hardly ever change
them anyway. The Dutch army issues two barrels with each MAG, and in nearly
all cases finds that one is worn much more than the other when the weapon
comes in for inspection. This despite frequent reminders to MAG gunners
that the second barrel is not a spare but intended to be swapped with the
other one at regular intervals.

--
Gurth@xs4all.nl        -        http://www.xs4all.nl/~gurth/index.html
  If there are vegetarian hamburgers, why isn't there beef lettuce?

GC3.12: GAT/! d-(dpu) s:- !a>? C+@ UL P L++ E W-(++) N o? K w+(--) O V?
PS+ PE(-)(+) Y PGP- t@ 5++ X(+) R+++(-)>$ tv+ b++@ DI- D+ G+ e h! !r y?
Incubated into the First Church of the Sqooshy Ball, 21-05-1998