Re: Driving in Europe. was: John Walker: What Charges, who'll tryhim.

Ann wrote:

> >>in the US you can drive a car when you're 16, but here in Europe,
> >>the minimum age is 18; does that mean that every US citizen who's
> >>under 18 but has a driver's license gets to appear in court when
> >>they come to a European country?
>
> Before going to Europe I can obtain an International Driver's
> License with my valid US driver's license - a reciprocal agreement.
>
> Hypothetical case:  Man, woman, two children (19 and 17) all legal
> drivers in the US, are planning a trip to Europe.  They will rent a
> car and tour without a schedule, seeing as many countries as they
> can, sharing the driving chores.
>
> Since both children are legal to drive in the US, are they also
> both legal to drive in Europe?  All countries?  Some countries? How
> can I find out?

Here in Germany you have to be at least 18 to drive a car, you may be
younger (16, I believe) for a kind of low-powered motorcycle.

The best way to find out about this, is probably to ask the embassies
of the countries your hypothetical family may visit.

But I guess the 19-year old will be able to drive anywhere in Europe
(though I might not be correct on this one).

> (Since the family vanishes somewhere on route and
> BlackEagle/BlackEagle is hired by the kids' grandparents to find
> them, this information might be important ...  <G>)

Well, if you need information about Germany, ask me :-)
After all, your family will need some appliances (like a hairdryer)
that work in Europe without burning out (Voltage in Germany is
220-230V and the AC frequency is higher.).
So, finding some 'useless' American equipment might give your
investigators a clue ;-)

Martin

--
Martin Volkmann