Re: Driving in Europe. was: John Walker: What Charges, who'll try him.

While the EU is striving to simplify and standardise laws concerning driving
throughout member states, the individual nations are still responsible for
their own regulation and these differ somewhat from nation to nation. I can
only comment directly on the UK and Ireland, where a US citizen with a valid
state-issued driving license may drive without further licensing as long as
his stay is less than one year, providing (and this is the bit you're
interested in) he meets certain age requirements. 17 for cars and
motorcycles, 18 for smaller lorries and 21 for larger.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/drvingb.htm#5.%20All%20other%20countries

If this is more than a hypothetical question, I'd advise you to research the
laws in each country in more detail. My instincts and experience would tell
me you won't have any problems if you're 19, you may have if you're 17.

Oh, and if you make it to my beloved Ireland just ignore all normal rules of
the road, and go with the flow!  ;-)

Driving in the Emerald Isle is an experince to say the least.

MM