Re: FBI re-evaluation of issue weapons ->Re: Armored cars

According to Benjamin Lott, on Wed, 14 Feb 2001 the word on the street
was...

> 	i had to quote the entire thing, because not much of it made sense to
> me.  I am SURE that when the FBI buys any amount of firearm, they do not
> pay the same as any civilian sportshooter.

Of course they don't, per firearm anyway. But where the FBI does pay more,
is in all the logistics behind it that consumers don't need to worry about.

> Also, I really doubt that the type of shoelaces will have any effect in
> the heat of a gunfight with criminals.

I wasn't talking only about firefights; I was making a general statement
that having a choice in equipment will increase expenditure, regardless of
whether it's firearms, cars, shoelaces, or whatever that you're talking
about.

> And the type of cruiser <BTW, my local police actually
> DO operate 2 different types of cruisers, and CHP (California Highway
> Patrol) currently operates one cruiser, two intercepters, and one 4wd
> cruiser

Which is comparing apples to oranges. If they had three or four different
models of 4WD, ten different "cruisers" (whatever those may be) and a
similar number of types of "interceptors" (ditto) available to officers,
then we'd be talking about what you are proposing for firearms. For a small
police force, this wouldn't really be a problem because they can take the
cars to the local garage if they break down; a large organization,
however, would want to have its own technical staff to look after this
fleet, and then those different types of vehicle would cause the
kinds of problems we're talking about here.

> is doubtful to have as much impact as an uncomfortable grip,
> confusing decocking levers, and difficult safties.

True, but provided the officer is well-trained in whatever weapon they are
issued with, IMO that shouldn't be a problem -- even if it's a weapon they
wouldn't pick themselves, given the choice.

> See my other post as to my views on higher taxes.

I doubt you represent the majority view with your reply there, though...

--
Gurth@xs4all.nl        -        http://www.xs4all.nl/~gurth/index.html
  afblinken

GC3.12: GAT/! d-(dpu) s:- !a>? C+@ UL P L++ E W-(++) N o? K w+(--) O V?
PS+ PE(-)(+) Y PGP- t@ 5++ X(+) R+++(-)>$ tv+ b++@ DI- D+ G+ e h! !r y?
Incubated into the First Church of the Sqooshy Ball, 21-05-1998