Re: FBI re-evaluation of issue weapons ->Re: Armored cars

>       And my answer to those would also be yes, now, when they knock on my
> door and say, "We also need $30 a month so that you can pay for some

This is not a discussion about American politics, welfare reform, or
anything of the sort; I'm trying to keep it to topics which may be of
interest to our readers outside the US--namely, the difficulties of
permitting nonstandardized weaponry in a large force, be it military or
civil, and the reasoning for the tendency of armed forces to standardize
on one weapon per role.  Taxation is a necessary side discussion,
because finances play a major role in how large organizations do their
business.

If you like, take a look at the Soviet Union, which duplicated a
tremendous amount of effort when it came to weaponry.  There are many
different kinds of 7.62mm weapons in the Soviet arsenal (7.62x39mm and
7.62x54mm being most common).  Multiple 9mm weapons (9x17mm Mak; 9x19
Parabellum; 9x33 Russian).  Multiple assault rifles (AK-47; AKM; AK-74;
AKSU; plus the new 9mm rifles).  Multiple grenade launchers (AGS-17;
BG-15; plus their new 40mm launchers).  Many, if not most, of these
weapons all require their own separate logistical supply chains for
ammunition, parts and technical expertise.  Keeping a Soviet Army unit
combat-ready was a colossal nightmare as a result.

... Short answer to the question: proficiency with agency-issued weapons
is a BFOQ (bona-fide occupational qualification) for being part of that
agency.  If you don't meet all the BFOQs for a job, you're ineligible
for the job.

I'm ineligible for the job of FBI agent due to a bad back, despite the
fact that I'm a good marksman, have good reasoning, good knowledge of
the law and civil liberties, and a strong desire to serve my community.
Ought I, a perfectly good candidate but for that, be denied the
opportunity be an FBI agent?

Darn straight.  A good back is a BFOQ.

If someone can't shoot straight with their Agency-issued weapon, ought
they, perfectly good but for that, be denied the opportunity to be an
FBI (or Grenzschutzgruppen [Germany], Scotland Yard [UK], Mossad
[Israel], FSB [Russia], etc.) agent?

Darn straight.  Shooting straight with issued weapons is a BFOQ.