Re: New Life for Millennium's End

Mark Baker wrote:

> I use a simple modifier based on the distance from the epicentre of the
> explosion myself - half blast radius=half the trauma level, two-thirds
> blast radius away=one third the trauma level. Even so, explosives are
> still very deadly: "don't use the frags" is fast becoming a catchprase
> at GenCon UK games.

the damage from the concussion is reduced as the cube of the distance from
the explosion (approximately) so that falls off very quickly.  Frag isn't so
forgiving but its still drops off faster than an arithmetic progression.
Would be kind of nice to have some idea just how many bits of flying wire it
takes to actually make a wound.  I sat down with a calculator one time to
figure out how many pieces of wire a person would soak up at a given
distance from a frag grenade. I was a bit surprised that under my
assumptions about grenades a person 10m from a frag would still pick up a
couple bits of wire.  Regrettably my physics skills are fairly minimal and i
couldn't figure out how much velocity the wire had shed by that point.
Anyone out there care to guestimate how many bits of wire come flying out at
what kind of speed from a typical frag grenade.  Some idea how fast the
velocity falls would also be appreciated.

> I had one of the characters caught between two remotely-triggered anti-
> tank mines at GenCon last year: even allowing for the fact that most of
> the blast was focused upwards, and he was partly protected by the engine
> block of the car he was driving, the total trauma level was 48 to the
> head (the part of his body not protected by the car he was in). To add
> insult to injury, the other characters used a thermite grenade on his
> remains, just to ensure that identification was impossible and there
> would be no leads back to them.

sounds like the guys i gamed with. neat and tidy most of the time.